La Trobe University in partnership with the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne announced a four-year scholarship to Gopika Kottantharayil Bhasi, an Indian female researcher, to make a meaningful impact in the world.
Gopika was awarded the Shah Rukh Khan La Trobe University PhD Scholarship in 2020, followed by her PhD journey in Australia.
The Indian student is researching the techniques to protect the world’s honeybee population from viruses, pollutants and declining diversity in flora.
Commenting on the scholarship, La Trobe University Chancellor, The Hon John Brumby AO, said he was thrilled Shah Rukh Khan had endorsed the University by offering another scholarship to an aspiring female researcher from India. He added, “Gopika is already making a valuable contribution to La Trobe’s world-class research in agricultural sciences – a rapidly growing area at the University that aims to help address global food insecurity.”
Meanwhile, he applauded Shah Rukh Khan’s initiative of having rendered support with regard to women empowerment.
Gopika addressed stating she was much excited to finally travel to the country which was held due to the pandemic. She said, “I love this country – especially the people, who are all very warm and welcoming. My colleagues, supervisor and friends are very supportive and caring. I encourage other women from India to apply; come out of your comfort zone, explore the beautiful world, and you might be able to take up this amazing opportunity.”
The four-year scholarship covers the following benefits
- a four-year La Trobe University Full-Fee Research Scholarship
- a La Trobe Graduate Research Scholarship for three and a half years, with a value of $32,500 (AUD) per annum (2022 rate) to support living costs.
- visa length Overseas Student Health Cover with Medibank for a single candidate
- access to La Trobe’s world-class research facilities, a suite of professional development programs and supervision by award-winning researchers
- visa application costs for a single person
- a $3,000 AUD travel allowance to cover travel costs from India to Melbourne
In this regard, the university has announced to submit an online Expression of Interest by 23rd September 2022.